Bocholtz is a church village in the municipality of Simpelveld. Until 1982 the village was an independent municipality and today it has a small 6000 inhabitants.
In the vicinity of Bocholtz are the remains of the Siegfried Line, a German defense line against the French. Of these, there are still stone blocks and some bunkers to be seen. Also, some Roman villas were dug up in 1911 and in 2003 a farmer in his field found a Roman sacrophagus. In addition, the castle De Bongerd in Bocholtz dates back to the 16th century: a mansion with a building, built of brick and bacon. From 1774 to 1794 it was the seat of the glory of Simpelveld. It was largely destroyed by the invasion of the French. Today, only a quarter of the original castle with only one round tower, one side wing and the entrance wing. The back side of the castle can be seen from the adjacent public park. Also Hoeve Overhuizen is worth visiting: a large farmhouse dating back to the 13th century. Besides the castle and Hoeve Overhuizen, the Jacobus de Meerderekerk is also part of the 12 national monuments that Bocholtz is rich in.
Hoeve Scholtissenhof is also a national monument. This typical Limburg carré farm is famous for homemade ice cream and freshly baked waffles. In an authentic atmosphere you can eat and drink, but also the decoration / farm shop and atmosphere on the farm make it worth a trip.