Heusden is a small nucleus in the municipality of Asten, which is commonly referred to as Asten-Heusden. The village has about 2500 inhabitants. Throughout the Middle Ages Heusden was a hamlet, which later became a heather mining village. The residents decided to set up a cooperative store to afford the construction of a school and church. In 1918 there was a school and in 1920 a pastor was appointed, while in 1921 the independent parish church was also ready. In 2006, this parish was merged with two other parishes from Asten to the Angelus parish.
Sights include the Church of Saint Antonius of Padua, a simple monotonous neo-Gothic church of 1921 with seven stained-glass windows in the choir representing the seven sacraments. Also since 1980 there is a botanical garden, a former pastoral garden, including conifers and succulents. On the Gruttoweg a Greek orthodox monastery can be found called 'Monastery Birth Mother of God. This monastery has been inhabited since 1988 by some monographs of different nationalities belonging to the Greek Orthodox Church. In Heusden lies the ruins of Castle Asten - registered as a national monument - and the national park De Groote Peel lies southeast of the village.