Koekange is a village in the municipality of De Wolden with approximately 2400 inhabitants. The surrounding area of Koekange consists of a meadow landscape with the typical strip deployment. Originally, the place was a ribbon village, but a real village core was created by new construction after the Second World War.
Koekange is a randveenginning, originated in the Middle Ages in the Echtenerveen. It is first mentioned in 1290. In 1331 Koekange was granted permission to build a church. Before 1331, they went to church in Blijdenstein. The church was dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Koekange had a railway station (Station Koekange) on the Meppel-Groningen railway line between 1870 and 1938 and for several months in 1940. The building was only demolished in 1962. Residents of Koekange are also called 'Pekelherings'.
Some of Koekange's attractions include the Reformed Hall Church of 1834 and two Art Nouveau farms. Together with various parts of the two farms, the church forms six of the seven registrations in the National Register of Conservation in Koekange. The seventh monument is a farm Welgelegen with a house (1881), business area (1906) and an extension of the house from circa 1910-1915.
The village also features a public and protestant Christian primary school, sports fields, Vitesse '63 football club, a supermarket with postal agency, a catering facility and some other shops.