Voerendaal (in Limburgs Voelender) is a village in the south of the Dutch province of Limburg and is the headquarters of the same-named municipality. The core has about 3075 inhabitants.
The village has a history dating back to the 11th century; The first writing in which Voerendaal is mentioned is known as an ear tag of June 20, 1065, in this recital, an indication of the initiation of St. Laurentius church. The St. Laurentius church at the center is the only church dedicated to a pope in the Netherlands. Older documents are missing, but historians suspect that the village should be for centuries older. Near the monumental farm of Ten Hove were found the remains of a Roman villa, the Villa Rustica Voerendaal-Ten Hove. Besides, many other remains have been found of Roman buildings.
Landscape is located Voerendaal in the southern part of the Heekelberg basin at the foot of the plateau of Ubachsberg where the Kunraderbreuk forms the boundary between the low pelvis and the high plateau. To the south of this Kunraderbreuk and south of Voerendaal lies the Kunderberg. Voerendaal is now fully grown with neighboring Kunrade; The boundary between the two places is currently barely visible. Around Voerendaal there are several castles, castle farms and mansions, of which Cortenbach Castle is probably the most important. Other castles are Haeren, Puth, Rivers and Terworm (although this last castle is currently located on the territory of the municipality of Heerlen). The Hoenshuis is also a former castle.