Vierhuizen (in the Groningen Vaaierhoezen) is a village in the municipality of De Marne of the Dutch province of Groningen. The village has about 220 inhabitants, and Vierhuizen runs the European E9 route, which is also called the North Sea Trail or Wad and Wierden Road.
Vierhuizen is located right on the slopes of the former Lauwerszee and was a fishing village until 1927, just like the 2½ km south-facing Zoutkamp. The oldest mention of the name Vierhuizen dates back to 1525. The place has its name due to the four stone houses that were there. Due to the construction of the Kerkvoogdijpolder it lost that meaning. This polder closed the "hole" that existed between the northern Westpolder and the southern Panserpolder. The Panserpolder is named after the same name sponsor that belonged to the village until 1769. Today it is the name of a farm two kilometers south of the village. There is another church road between the village and this farm.
On the outskirts of the village is the mill of The Enterprise dating back to 1858. Furthermore, the church of Vierhuizen is originally a tufts church dating back to the Middle Ages. Over the centuries, the building has suffered from weather effects. In 2007, the church was refurbished after a large amount of money was won through a radio action.
Reservation system by Booking Experts