Bakkeveen is a village in the municipality of Opsterland with about 1900 inhabitants. It was first mentioned as a place where the Frisians and Drents performed a battle in 1231 and later destroyed by the Spaniards during the eighties war. In 1660, the present Bakkeveen originated during the cattle mining and today it is a typical communal village.
The village is surrounded by a wooded area with hedge and sand plains, situated on the border with Groningen and Drenthe. In the vicinity, the Bakkeveense Dunes can be found: a heath and woodland that originated and untouched after the 19th century cattle harvest. It is also seen as an example of how South-East Friesland looked two centuries ago. The areas around the village are managed by both Natural Monuments, State Forestry and It Fryske Gea. In the area sheep run in a sheep cage and free Exmoor ponies and Scottish Highlanders run around in the heath area. At the edge of the forest is the historic country house Slotplaats, which is now used as a tea house and as a starting point for excursions of Nature Monuments. Behind the castle is the old coach house, which was used as a tourist information point (TIP) after renovation. The castle and its gardens and orchards were restored in 2006.
Bakkeveen is in a recreation area with attraction and holiday parks. Here you will find an outdoor swimming pool and the largest maze park in the Netherlands. In addition, there is a special forest road for wheelchairs that ends at the viewing tower near the swimming pool. The Sterrenschans is a hexagonal defense work that was restored in 2002 by Natuurmonumenten. There are large, shallow veins, which work in strict winters as a natural ice rink.