Kerkwerve is a village in the Zeeuwse municipality of Schouwen-Duivenland with more than 1000 inhabitants. Kerkwerve formed its own municipality until 1961 and then became part of the municipality of Middenschouwen until 1997. To the west of Kerkwerve lies one of the two winds of Schouwen-Duiveland, the other is in Scharendijke. Kerkwerve is low in the country, the area is also called the Platte van Schouwen. Kerkwerve was believed to arise around 1200 at the bed of Schouwen. The church is on a terp-like rise, also called yard or werve, hence the name. The present church was built in 1900 as a substitute for the church demolished in 1899 dedicated to Pancratius. At the church there is also a traval, also called hoefstal. This is a stellage or open stable that uses a hoofsmith to cover horses or donkeys. Huis in Werve, a square donjon with some extensions east of the church, disappeared in the early 18th century. The last remaining Schouwse stolp, which was located at Kerkwerve, was abolished in 1956 in connection with damage sustained during the water scarce of 1953. In the neighborhood of Moriaanshoofd at Kerkwerve is the De Zwaan corn mill. The mill and the pulpit in the Dutch Reformed Church are the two national monuments registered in Kerkwerve.