Liessel - called Lijssel in local dialect - is a core and former landlord in the municipality of Deurne. Just east of Liessel is a fracture zone, belonging to the Peelrandbreuk, which is visible on the surface in some parts of the village.
The current village of Liessel is located on a deck of sand along the Astronomical Aa. This village originated at a chapel amidst some medieval hamlets, such as Loon (oldest entry 1340). The oldest, irregular crops are on this backdrop. The only way to cross the marshmill Peel in the north-south direction was across the deck sand ridge. To the east of the deck sand we find the Peel wet mining, now partly protected as a nature reserve (such as the Deurnsche Peel, as well as the dry bushes on former sand sprays and heathlands. Examples of these are the Dennenbossen and the Galgenberg.
At Liessel, the Soeloop from the Deurnese Peel flows along with the Astronomical Aa. To the west, the road leads to Vlierden through the former estate of the Beelsfundatie to the Beek Valley reserve "de Berken".
The only independence that Liessel once had was the creation of its own parish in 1851 (St. Willibrordus parish), and the foundation of a new church (1901), a monastery, and a school. In the place of the former Hubertus Chapel (elevated to Willibrorduskerk in 1851), broken down in 1903, the patronage building was built. This is now known as the Chestnut community. On the main street is De Volksvriend, a round stone mill from 1903 which has been completely restored.
The official motto of the village is we have seen you to read on a sign under the place name. The leus refers to a (so-called) characteristic why the Liesselnians are known in the region: Keeping an eye on everything on the street, if necessary by sliding the curtains aside.