Thorn (in Limburg's Thoear) is a village and like-minded municipality in the Dutch province of Limburg, near the Belgian Kessenich. It has its neighbors Ittervoort, Panheel and Wessem. Before Thorn was merged with the other municipalities of Maasbracht en Heel until January 1, 2007, the municipality of Maasgouw, Thorn itself was a municipality. It is known as the White Village because of its white houses in the city center. Thorn is the first Dutch village on the western Maasoever from Maastricht (it received 13th century city rights) and today the municipality of Thorn has approximately 2600 inhabitants, of whom 2400 are at the core.
Until the mining in the tenth century, the area around Thorn was very swampy. At the edge of this swamp, the Roman arena run from Maastricht to Nijmegen. Around 990, a monastery for benedictions was established at a height, a pin, the Thorn Abbey. That monastery grew into a world-wide foundation (a monastery for noble ladies) and a princess, the Abbey County Thorn. Many homes of these Pentecostals have been preserved, such as the House with the three bullets dating from 1648.
St. Michael's Church or Stiftskerk in Thorn is a parish church whose parts largely originate from the 14th century. It was the foundation church of the Benedictine Rijksabijij in Thorn. It is a Gothic crucifixion with an eastern crypt under the intersection and the choir. The foundation of the tower is a remnant of the western work of the older Romanesque church. After the abolition of the monastery in 1797, the old parish church was demolished and the church used this church and was restored later in the 19th century. In the vicinity of the church stands a Sacred Heart Picture from 1925.
Reservation system by Booking Experts