Grubbenvorst is a church village in the municipality of Horst on the Meuse with about 5000 inhabitants. It is after Sevenum the largest village in the municipality and formed from the beginning of the 19th century until 2001 together with the village of Lottum to the municipality of Grubbenvorst.
Grubben, also called Gribben, was the name of the castle which is now the ruin of the Broken Castle. There are also traces of early German occupation on the high Maasoever.
At excavations after the destruction of the parish church in November 1944, this church built around 1415 must have had six predecessors. When reconstructed in 1952, one wanted to keep the memory of these former churches in the present crypt. The present church is the O.L. Women's Remembrance Church.
In Grubbenvorst is also Klooster de Bisweide, an Ursuline pension. The sisters of the Association of Bisweide, who lived in Bisweide in 1708, entered the Ursulinen sisters in 1860. Another point of interest is the house de steegh. The original house dates back to the 16th century. The current house was built around 1750 by a member of the Rhoe of Obsinnich family in the place of the older house. The outbuildings were built around 1800. Finally, the devotional chapel of Saint Jan from 1959 is an interesting attraction. In 1989, the place was found where St. Janskapel was from the 15th century (75m² in size). The circumference of this ancient chapel is indicated in the paved pavement. A big cross and the municipal weapon complete the whole.
In total, Grubbenvorst has eight entries in the national register, including Huis De Steegh, Kasteel Kaldenbroek, Grboken Slot and a former final mill of the Molenvijver.