Castenray is a church village in the municipality of Venray with about 800 inhabitants on an area of 978 hectares.
The church of Castenray is the H. Matthias church. The history of this church dates back to 1434, when a chapel was dedicated to St. Matthias in Castenray. In November 1944 the church tower was blown up by the German army. The ship of the church was also destroyed, but the 15th century priest choir was spared. After the war, the church was rebuilt. In the middle of the square opposite the church is the image of the "schânsemaker", this is someone who joins a forest together with a forest, a sundial, a memorial to the sending of 12 young men to Dutch India And a memorial monument to picking up a large number of boys and men who were deported during the war. Furthermore, there are several places, e.g. A skater near the former skating water, a horse in memory of the famous stallion Nico van Melo, which is also a beautiful cycling route. And a statue of a troubadour of the last century Thei Buddiger.
Directly east of the village center is the A73. To the southwest of Castenray lies the 70 acre Castenrayse Fennen nature reserve around the valley of the Lollebeek. On the west side of Castenray lies the 'Castenrayse Mountain' against the village boundary. This is a forest area with pollen dunes and offers many possibilities for walking and cycling.
Castenray has 3 entries in the National Monuments Register, including the St. Mathias church. The other two monuments are a farm and a house.
On bike ride from Castenray (about 7 km) you can visit Horst de Kantfabriek, a castle ruin, Imkerij 't Zoemhukske and the Strawberryland.
In Melderlo, a local museum of De Locht, which shows the life of earlier times, shows the growing of asparagus and champions. In the vicinity of Castenray, many asparagus, blueberries and roses are grown, where cycling routes are mentioned, these routes are well indicated with signs.
So for rest space and a nice area you come to Castenray.