Millingen aan de Rijn is a place in the municipality of Groesbeek. The former municipality counted nearly 6000 inhabitants. Until July 1, 1954, the municipality of Millingen was called. Since then there is the addition "on the Rhine". This is geographically contestable. The water at Millingen is called the Bijlandsch Canal. From the German border to the branch of the Waal and the Pannerdensch Canal it is called Graaf Bijland (pronounced Bieland), who once ordered to dig the channel (the river Rhine was just south of Zevenaar, While Millingen was at the time of the Waal). As of January 1, 2015, the municipality was merged with Ubbergen and Groesbeek, currently under the name of Groesbeek. The municipality of Millingen had a jumelage with the Hungarian FertÅ d since 1991.
Millingen is located on a Roman walled wall system, of which between 200 and 500 have been dropped away. At the end of Merovingian period (7th to 8th century) the area was inhabited. This early settlement is also flooded, witnessing the overflow corridors on the bank of the bank. The medieval street pattern of the village is based on it. The village is located in the center of the Duffelt, heart of the Gelderse Gate.
Every year Historic Transport takes place on the 1st Sunday of July. Also in Millingen on the Rhine you will find the start and end of stages of the Pieterpad. In addition, there are several interesting sights such as the Catholic St. Anthony of Paduakerk from 1913, with special biech hooks. As the workers of the shipyard in the village were often hard-hired by their work in the noisy factory halls and the ships, they used to double the doors in the confessional seats, so that confession could still be confidential.