Maasbommel is a city in the municipality of West Maas and Waal with about 1400 inhabitants, belonging to the former municipality of Appeltern until 1984. Maasbommel is usually referred to as a village. Unlike most places in Gelderland, Maasbommel is home to predominantly Catholic. In 1966, in the municipality of Appeltern, where Maasbommel belonged, 94% of the population was Catholic and 6% Protestant. In the area where Maasbommel is now, Romans lived. One of the most beautiful and rare finds from Maasbommel is a pure silver Roman trumpet fibula (mantle pin). This type of mantle pin comes from Scotland. An identical copy is located in Edinburgh, Scotland. Maasbommel itself was first mentioned as Buomele in 1144. It received city rights on August 15, 1312 and became a Hanseatic city. In Maasbommel, coins were hit under Reinald III. In French times, Maasbommel became an independent municipality. On January 1, 1818 this municipality was lifted and attached to Appeltern. Today, Maasbommel is known for the watersports area De Gouden Ham. In Maasbommel there are also three marinas, namely WSV de Golden Ham, Marina Hanzeland and Maasbommel water sports center. Furthermore, interesting sights include the former Dutch Reformed Church (a waterfront church from 1842, now used as a wedding venue), the Saint Lambert church (a brick neo-Gothic basilica, initiated in 1869), a canal at the farm t Hof that indicates where in the past A castle, a mill from the 18th century, the uphill road to the feather house and some characteristic houses with thatched roofs.