Borculo is a city in the municipality of Berkelland with about 10000 inhabitants. The River Berkel runs through the center of the city. The city thanks its name to the Borculo Men, who took office in Borculo Castle. These Men were first mentioned in written sources in the 12th century, the same time the castle was built about. Over time, a settlement was established at the castle, which was first mentioned in 1337. In this year, Mr Borculo's lord and wife set up a chapel in the settlement. This chapel of the Vicarities (spiritual foundations) was elevated to parish church in 1509 and detached from the motherhood game Geesteren. The place Borculo has 23 entries in the national register. These include several farms and houses, but also a synagogue, bath house, The Stone Table and the Olliemölle (industrial and polder mills), remains of the castle of Borculo and the Joriskerk. In addition, Borculo can visit the Fire and Storm Disaster Museum, there is a museum farm (the Lebbenbrugge) and there are several smaller church villages in the area (Geesteren, Gelselaar and Haarlo). Furthermore, there may be danger of berkel with the Berkelzomp or a round trip with an authentic fire engine.