Appeltern was originally a municipality, which was enlarged in 1818 with the raised municipalities of Alphen and Maasbommel. But was lifted and added to the municipality of Wamel in 1984, eventually the name of the fusion community changed to West Maas and Waal in 1985, where Appeltern is now a village with about 800 inhabitants. The village is famous for its fashion-mall complex De Tuinen van Appeltern, with thousands of tens of thousands of visitors annually. Other interesting places to visit in Appeltern are the De Tuut steam center, registered as a national monument and still for public viewing as a museum. It has been replaced by the adjacent electric mill Bloemers, which bore the Nieuwe Wetering today, leaving the southeastern part of the Land of Maas and Waal to the Nijmeeg neighborhoods Lindenholt and Dukenburg and part of Heumen dry. Furthermore, remains of outbuildings of Appeltern's castle can be found. There is a spring link in the Appeltern with the North Brabantse Megen, across the Meuse. Just before this pont is the Golden Ham recreation area, with beaches and marinas. But also in the village itself, near a pancake house with fairy tales theme, there is the possibility to perform various activities such as water sports and outdoor events.