Sint Annaparochie (official St. Annaparochie and in Bildts (Friesian) Saint Anne) is the largest village of the municipality of Bildt. It is approximately 15 kilometers northwest of Leeuwarden and has about 4500 inhabitants.
Sint Annaparochie is named after Sint Anna, Mary's mother. According to local tradition, the original name of the village of Altena would have been, but this name is only mentioned for the first time on a map from 1570 and thus apparently originated during the reformation.
Characteristic is the octagonal Van Harenskerk from 1683 in the middle of the village. In the forerunner of this church, which was in the same place, in 1634 the painter Rembrandt van Rijn married. A bronze statue for the church reminds us of this. The church was the first example of central construction in Friesland in 1683. Due to a fire in the Van Haren castle, many documents have been lost. One does not know who the architect of the octagonal church was. Until October 13, 2012, the church was part of the Protestant community. On this date, the church was transferred to the Alde Fryske Cherken Foundation.
To the north of Saint Annaparochie is the state-protected face of Oude en Nieuwe Bilddijken. There are also sixteen national monuments in Sint Annaparochie, including the Van Haren church with the enclosed cemetery on which it stands.
Reservation system by Booking Experts