Oosterzee is a village in the municipality of the Frisian Lakes with about 950 inhabitants (including outside area). The village consists of two cores namely Oosterzee-Buren and Oosterzee-Gietersebrug: to the Gietersen who lived here. Particularly between 1750 and 1825, large numbers of turf were won in the low pines south of Oosterzee, and entrepreneurs and peat workers often came from Giethoorn; Hence the names Gietersevaart and Gietersebrug.
Oosterzee-Buren (in Friesland: Eastersee-Buorren) was once an independent village. Locally it is also called The Buorren ("the village"). In the village is a monument to the Stins Roordastate, which dates back to 1651. The neoclassical church from 1860 has a 1498 clock.
In total, Oosterzee counts seven registrations in the national register of monuments. These include the Beverkooy (including back part) of 1782 and the Reformed Church from 1860. In addition, there are 22 municipal monuments in Oosterzee.
The houses in Oosterzee spread along some nearby roads and especially close to the Tjeukemeer coast. When walking / cycling / driving, you can reach the IJsselmeer via Lemmer. The rest of the area is mainly characterized by meadows with a few waters in between.