Cornwerd is a village in the municipality of Súdwest-Fryslân, close to the IJsselmeer, and has about 100 inhabitants. Until 2011, Cornwerd was part of the former municipality of Wonseradeel. Part of Cornwerd is a protected village view, one of the protected town and village views in Friesland. The procedure for designation started in 1988 and was not final until 1991.
In addition, there are two national monuments in the village: the Bonifatius Church (Reformed Church) and the Cornwerdermolen. The Cornwerdermolen is a polder mill southeast of the village. The mill was built in 1907 for the painting of the Waterschap Cornwerd. This polder was the result of the merger of five smaller polders. The construction of the Cornwerder Mill made the five mills that had painted them until then unnecessary: they were therefore demolished. The mill was not restored after a heavy storm in 1972 and fell in decline until it was restored in 1999. He has been working on a voluntary basis again regularly, and is also able to view the mill by appointment with the miller. The Bonifacius church is a Romanesque church of the 13th century and was originally dedicated to Bonifacius. The saddle tower was replaced in 1898 by a tower with neo-Renaissance elements. In the tower of three circles and spits a 1569 clock hangs. An iron-fired door (1591) and a fragment of a medieval sandstone retable are now in Friesland Museum. In 1916, F. Raadsma's plans provided the hall church, surrounded by two pointed arches, and the five-sided choir closure was replaced by a three-way chorus. In 1988 the foundations were strengthened and in 2000 the roof was restored.