Ruinerwold (in the Drents Ruunerwold, 't Wold) is a village in the municipality of De Wolden with approximately 3500 inhabitants. Ruinerwold residents are also called 'Spekbraanders'. This in connection with the many pig farms and piglets that were formerly in Ruinerwold.
Ruinerwold is a cattle mining northeast of Meppel, which originated in the Middle Ages after the exploitation of the marshland area on the spot by the monks of the ruins of Ruinen. By the middle of the twelfth century, this area was donated by the bishop of Utrecht to the monastery. Ruinerwold originated from Buddingewold and Haakswold. Both belonged as independent clerks to the glory of ruins. In church they fell under Blijdenstein.
It was only in the 18th century that the village was called Ruinerwold. Originally, it is a typical village, but after the Second World War, a true village center has evolved through new towns.
Ruinerwold has 29 national monuments and 14 provincial monuments, including a large number of monumental farms, two of which are listed as museum farms: The Karstenhoeve from the seventeenth century and a classical farmhouse still in use.
The Dutch Reformed Church, which dates outside the village in the Blijdenstein neighborhood, dates from the fifteenth century, although some parts are still centuries older. The former town hall at Dijkhuizen is also a special property. The building was rebuilt in 1903 in a neo-style style. Special is Opoe's Heritage at Dijkhuizen, a small shopping annex museum with kitchen textile and Dutch-Dutch candy.
The surrounding area consists of a meadow landscape with typical narrow strip deployment. On a small number of strips, forest is planted. An annual event in Ruinerwold is the oldtimerdag on the third Saturday in August. The annual village festival is also one of the events organized in Ruinerwold. A traditional part of this is the procession of decorated cars.