Gasselte is a village in the municipality of Aa and Hunze with no more than 2000 inhabitants. Although traces of occupation around Gasselte have been found from prehistory, spring time and iron age, the first found settlement in this region dates from the 9th to 12th centuries.
The village itself always consists of two parts: the Grotenend (northeast of the church) and the Lutkenend (west of the church). In the Grotto, the larger farms were located in the influential families and in the Lutkenend were the farmers and craftsmen living. Literally in the middle of these two parts was the church, the oldest wall of which dates back to the middle of the 13th century. The churchyard at the church is one of the largest church gardens in Drenthe with over 100 zerken.
Other interesting sights are the statue (handed by Bert Kiewiet) of a well-known village figure Wemeltje Kruit in 1963. Wemeltje was a saleswoman who brought her merchandise to the man by bicycle in the wide area. There is also a war memorial in Gasselte to commemorate Fernand Bergue (Madagascar, November 30, 1924 - Gasselte, April 9, 1945). In the garden of the Parsonage of Gasselte and well visible from the public road are the statues of Apollo, Venus and Mercury. These images probably come from the Eyckenstein estate on the Utrechtse Heuvelrug, where they would be stolen.
In total, Gasselte has five entries in the national monument register including the Our Lady Church and the reformed parsonage with garden statues.
Reservation system by Booking Experts