Burgerbrug is a village in the municipality of Schagen with about 500 inhabitants. Burgerbrug originated just after the polder of the Zijpe was dryed in 1597. During that time a ribbon-shaped building was developed along the (Oneigen) Burgerweg and especially the Groote Sloot. One lived in agriculture and animal husbandry.
In 1742 Burgerbrug was a simple farm for the reformed worship service. Outside the village center, on the Ruigeweg, was a Roman Catholic shelter church. In the 19th century this last church was lifted and replaced by a large stone building on the Groote Sloot. The farm church was replaced by the typical church with wooden tower on the Burgerweg in the middle of the village. In the 20th century, this reformed church was taken into use and is now being used as a cultural center.
An attraction is the Reformed Church of 1850 and the Catholic Church of 1866. The village center is dominated by the Starre Crown farm. Witness the façade dating the 1797 national monument. In 2006, the building disappeared almost completely - after years of overdue maintenance, restoration / rebuilding of the monument became necessary. Nowadays the building is once again in full glory.
The surrounding area of Burgerbrug with the Great Sloot and the West Frisian Dike is popular with tourists. Along the Great Sloot are various pole farms landed. Shortly outside the village, the bullfrog Vroegop jumps into the eye. Dating from 1670 this is the oldest still existing farm of the Zijpe. From 1915, the wonderful Zeenimf building with its characteristic round tower. Furthermore, there are the Zuider-G mills, from 1699 and Molen F, dating from 1890. In total, Burgerbrug knows seven national monuments.