Ravenstein is a fortified city with approximately 3500 inhabitants on the Meuse in the North Brabant municipality of Oss. Until 2003, Ravenstein together with a number of surrounding villages formed an independent municipality with approximately 8500 inhabitants.
Ravenstein was founded in 1360 by Walraven van Valkenburg, Leenman of the Duke of Brabant, who then built a castle on the banks of the Meuse. At the castle, the town of Ravenstein, which became city council in 1380, originated. In 1522, the city was strengthened with ramparts and bastions, and as early as 1543, an emperor broke it apart, with the exception of the city gates of which two were preserved. The historic city center has a number of monuments and some of the listed houses.
In 1735, Saint Lucia church was built in Ravenstein, the only Dutch baroque church outside the province of Limburg. In 1538, a parish church in Ravenstein was first mentioned. After a city fire, a new church was built by the Jesuits in 1606. After the construction of the Saint Lucia Church, this church became unnecessary and thus, in 1752, a Latin school was established by the Jesuits, in the place of the ancient church, which existed until 1878. Gradually, the building was used as a town hall, But in 1905 it was demolished and there was a council house in place. In 1977, the building was replaced by a municipal office and the adjacent 18th century notary house was used as a town hall.