Wamel is a village (approximately 2400 inhabitants) in the Land of Maas and Waal in the Dutch province of Gelderland. It is a dike village on the left bank of the Waal. On the other side of this river lies Tiel, which has been connected by a ferry service - and since 1973 by the first self-supporting concrete bridge construction of the Netherlands. Wamel belongs to the municipality of West Maas and Waal. The first mention of Wamel, when called Vamele (ford), dates from 893 AD. When the abbey of Prüm has a court in Wamel. Around 1445 a claris monastery was established.
On January 1, 1818, the municipality was enlarged with the elevated municipality of Leeuwen. On January 1, 1984, the municipality of Wamel was merged with the municipalities of Appeltern and Dreumel into a merger community with the working name Wamel. On July 1, 1985, the name of this new municipality was changed to West Maas and Waal.
In total, Wamel counts one national monument: the reformed church from the 15th century. In addition, Wamel has another municipal monument: a nursery home.
The location on the Waal offers many opportunities for recreation around Wamel. Various hiking and cycling tours can be held, which can be chosen from the villages, dikes, floodplains or meadows surrounding it.